We use 100% Pharmaceutical Grade Salt for Halotherapy, which is Tested for Safety and Purity.
How Spiro’s Salt Therapy Works
Halotherapy or Salt Therapy is a natural approach to wellness, such as yoga, massage and good nutrition. Halotherapy works best with repeated sessions. While one visit can bring temporary relief and a deep sense of calm, it is the repeated exposure to dry salt aerosol (the combination of air and micronized salt particles, produced by a halogenerator that provides the deeper changes, alleviating symptoms and boosting wellness. Halotherapy combines the effects of the main ingredient, Dry Salt Aerosol, with the unique relaxing environment in which it is offered. Halotherapy is 100% natural and absolutely safe for people of all ages, including pregnant women, as well as children 12 months and older, and the elderly. The benefits of halotherapy have been widely researched and reported in a range of professional medical and general literature over the past few decades, showing that:
- Aerosolized salt has natural decongestive and cleansing properties that may help maintain breathing comfort and health.
- The skin may benefit from dry salt therapy’s natural anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties.
- Dry salt therapy may even boost the bloodstream’s ability to circulate in the tiny vesicles near the surface of the skin.
Halotherapy safely and effectively promotes clearance the airways. It works as a “gentle brush” to clean the airways and lungs of mucus, allergens, pollutants and other impurities. When finely ground salt particles get into the airways, they gently stimulate cilia movement, which improves the expectoration of mucus, bacteria and any other irritants. Sodium chloride delivered via Halotherapy also changes the consistency of mucus, making it thinner, less sticky and more slippery, and greatly eases expectoration. Combined with its potential to stimulate cilia movement, sodium chloride is an important contributor to airway clearance.
Inhibiting the bacteria
Dry Salt Aerosol inhibits the growth of bacteria, which can cause respiratory tract infections. Photos above illustrate efficiency of this mechanism on the cellular level: the left photo shows respiratory epithelial cells colonized by S. pneumonia, a major cause of pneumonia; the right photo was taken after a 12-day course of 45-minute halotherapy sessions, showing the respiratory epithelial cells free of S. pneumoniae.
Improving local immunity
Dry salt aerosol strengthens local immunity of the respiratory tract and reduces its sensitization to common allergens.
Improving skin conditions
Dry salt aerosol benefits for skin:
- Fortifies skin’s protective barrier
- Stimulates microcirculation
- Reduces inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-edematous effects
- Helps normalize skin’s pH-balance
- Promotes healthy tissue regeneration
- Promotes elasticity
- Facilitates deeper penetration of skin care products
- Clears impacted follicles to prevent acne formation
- Promotes gentle exfoliation
Halotherapy is particularly helpful in relieving symptoms from certain chronic illnesses, such as asthma and bronchitis, and other respiratory and allergy-related conditions, as well as certain skin conditions, such as eczema, psoriasis, and acne. Salt room visitors often report that halotherapy enables them to reduce the use of medications and prevent recurrence, lengthening and stabilizing remission periods.
Salt has the following properties:
- Mucolytic effects: loosens excessive mucus and speeds up mucociliary transport
- Removes pathogen agents (airborne pollen)
- Reduces IgE level (immune system oversensitivity)